Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Cover letters

Good news: I swear by my MFA when it comes to writing cover letters. Here are no fail tricks: Take out every instance of "I." It is going to be a challenge, but not impossible. Try really hard to never use "I" in your cover letter. What this does is shift your focus to the job, and not your own accomplishments. You want to be framing everything in terms of what you can do for the job. Employers read resumes with "what can you do for me" playing in their heads. Everything you write needs to be framed in terms of the job's needs. E.g., "the book displays project would translate well to your library and support the mission statement goal of increasing circulation". (Maybe not my best example but hopefully it makes sense what I am trying to do there.) Also, as a woman (assuming), you have got to remove any language that hesitates. I'll have to try and find avoid example as I can't think of one right now. I often see things like "I think I would be a good fit because of x y z" and you need to take out "I think". (And all "I"'s so this is not my best example but again, hopefully you get the drift!!!

No comments: