Simmons is running focus groups to improve their library program. Sadly, I cannot attend due to prior commitments. Here's what I think, though:
For what it is worth, the three things I see people
needing the most work on are:
1. Public speaking skills, be it teaching or in a
meeting/presentation. MLIS instructors can gauge content but folks need
a professional coach to help in these areas.
2. High level of facility with excel, camtasia, ppt, etc . . . People
don't think they will need these skills because that's not the kind of
library work they want to do, but we need people with these skills in
all kinds of positions.
3. Analytical abilities: capacity to think about the implications of a
new or changed service outside of their own area. Constantly thinking
of the library as a whole.
My colleagues and I have often talked about how much can be taught and
how much is just on the job learning. I would love to see people
graduate with a portfolio including a podcast of them speaking, samples
of their work across a large variety of tools, and having completed an
internship.
No comments:
Post a Comment