Monday, January 09, 2012

Clean up, Clean up

There's a song sung at my daughter's daycare, "Clean up, clean up, everybody do their share.' That's exactly what I am trying to figure out right now re: old emails and files. What should I be making sure is stored on the wiki or in the group drive or heaven forfend in the file cabinet. What can go to archives, what is a part of the records management program, what can go to the circular file.

In the past, when I have taken classes or attended conferences, I am forever sparking ideas of things I want to write about or explore further as practice. However, so many times when I return, the daily work overwhelms my intentions. If anything, I suppose my new's year's resolution can best be defined as living an intentional life. Part of that has been taking these moments the past few days to sit down and write out how I am thinking about my work. As someone posted on FB regarding getting up early to go to the gym, "You'll never regret having done it, but you WILL regret not having done it." I'm approaching writing/reading/exploring at work with that same attitude.

I can't wait to see what I unearth from my myriad paper and electronic notes, and see what can be brought to fruition. Much like waking up in the middle of the night to jot down a brilliant thought that is incomprehensible come morning, how many of my random notes can actually grow into something of use. I think a methodical review and purge will help find the patterns: is there a topic that begat long emails, is there a point touched on consistently, are there unanswered questions tabled for a later discussion that never comes. Instead of new year, clean slate, I want to swim through the streams of data searching for those niggling ideas and see where they take me.

No comments: