Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Intersections

In 2003, many libraries faced budget cuts as a result of financial constraints. My West Coast standard work week was 40 hours, compared to the East Coast 35 hours I had been used to. A colleagues and I speculated on what the budget savings would be were everyone to drop down to 35 hours . . . we'd lose some overlap when scheduling public service points, but figured out of ~500 library staff there could be enough to save needed jobs and maybe even add a few where we need to grow.

500 FTE at 40 hours per week = 20,000 hours
minus 5 hours per week per FTE = 2,500 hours
2,500 hours divided by 35 hours per week = ~71 FTE

Anyway, it was an interesting thought exercise back in 2003 that didn't go anywhere.

Then, the other week I read about athink tank recommending the UK go to a 20 hour work week. Colleagues are sending me links about resiliance as a way to help each other through the transition. Both the think tank and the American Psychological Association emphasize the importance of of our activities outside of work as important to our health, well-bring, and overall productivity while at work. These bonds can be strengthened through having dedicated leisure time and using it to promote our resiliance.

However, apparently we need $75,000 income to be happy. No more, no less. I haven't quite figured out how to give everyone $75K for 20 hours of work per week . . . since money doesn't motivate our formula would need to include $75K for 20 hours per week in an environment that emphasises autonomy, mastery and consensus.

So, what change can I effect now? I cannot change salaries or hours worked. But I can encourage myself and others to take part in programs that emphasis the ingredients for resilience. And I can discuss incorporating consensus decision making when setting quarterly goals for the department. Our Q3 goals are set, so I'll add to my Q3 looking into creating April's Q4 goals during the month of March through a consensus process.

Thanks to all my amazing colleagues for pointing out many of the interesting sources cited above.

No comments: