Thursday, January 05, 2012

The Three Year Plan

We've been undergoing a three year long review and reorganization. I don't have a sense that when it began, anyone expected it to last three years, but here we are in the final six month stretch prior to implementation and looking back I certainly seem to have alternated between states of wanting methodical research and results, now. And of course, from speaking with friends down the river, I know that the implementation, while ending one set of unknowns, will only bring forth another--how will this actually work?

In the meantime, as one of the ~95% who are not (yet?) part of the new organization, I find this final stage of waiting to be drastically affecting my behavior and actions. And while I tend to be glass half full, even I am surprised with how I am positive I feel about the future. And mind you, this has nothing to do with the reorganization as frankly I have no opinion as there are too many unknowns for me. I feel positive about several of the people involved in my area, yet don't have enough information to have an opinion myself. Where I am feeling positive though is in where this reorganization process has led me so far, and the personal journey I am mapping out for the next six months. Probably it has in part to do with the fact that it is the new year also, and while I am not exactly making work resolutions, I am definitely thoughtfully planning for my short term and long-term future.

In the short-term, I have always had a goal of writing more in my profession. I'd like to get my feet wet through this blog, and hopefully move onto research topics in the future. In the spirit of planning out future blog posts and teasing out some of what has me feeling positive, I'll share a list I wrote yesterday:

Daily Tasks:

Connect with colleagues
Clean up email
Clean up files
Read
Write
Review job lists
Classes

I'll expand more in the coming days on the topics above and then hopefully move on from there to write more generally about librarianship, observations and hopes for the future.

I'll leave you with an exhortation to go check JetBlue for flights! Having just been on a glorious 17 day vacation during which I managed to not check email ONE SINGLE TIME (ok, it helps that were closed between Christmas and New Years), I have decided that in order to keep my vacation glow (2.5 days back at work and I still have the glow--a new record!) I want to do mini-breaks every month this year. It could be as simple scheduling no playdates one weekend and spending time with my family at museums instead of doing chores all weekend. Or, since airline prices are super cheap right now, for February it means visiting one of my besties in Seattle for under $300 round trip (that got your attention, didn't it?!). Keeping the vacation glow is good for me, good for my family, and good for my colleagues. Let's see how long I can make it last!

Thanks for stopping by for a spell.
cm

No comments: